General Requirements for Total Response (TR) Software
Last Revised: June 8, 2022
The requirements outlined below are for the full-service version of PowerPhone’s Total Response software, which includes all features and modules as well as integration with Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) systems. If you are looking for requirements for the Total Response Stand Alone (SA) product, you will find them here.
PowerPhone installs Total Response software into the customer’s existing environment. PowerPhone does not provide any hardware, operating systems, systems software, database management systems, or any other infrastructure licensed through third-party providers such as Microsoft.
The customer will provide the following resources for their deployment of Total Response.
Windows Server for application server hosting
PowerPhone’s Total Response server components must be hosted on a Windows server maintained by your agency. Requirements for this server are as follows:
- Needs to be running a version of Windows Server that is currently supported by Microsoft (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/)
- The server used to host the Total Response server components does not need to be a dedicated server; it may also host other services or applications
- The server may be a physical or virtual machine, but must be on-premise and under control of the customer or a third-party vendor that maintains the server at the customer’s direction
- PowerPhone must be provided with escorted remote access to this server to install and maintain Total Response server components as necessary
- The customer is responsible for maintaining the Windows operating system on this server, including the application of security and maintenance patches recommended by Microsoft
Microsoft SQL Server Database Management System
Total Response database services must be run on a Microsoft SQL Server instance. Requirements for SQL Server are as follows:
- The database server must be running a version of Microsoft SQL Server Standard Edition or higher, that is currently supported by Microsoft (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/)
Please note: Microsoft SQL Express Edition is NOT sufficient to run the Total Response database due to data file size restrictions and absence of necessary data replication components.
- Total Response requires SQL licensing for each client workstation that will be using the Total Response software; it is the customer’s responsibility to provide sufficient Client Access Licenses (CALs) or Core Licenses to comply with Microsoft’s licensing requirements
- The Total Response database may be housed in a shared or dedicated SQL Server instance at the discretion of the customer
- The SQL Server instance used to host the Total Response database may be hosted on the same server that hosts the Total Response application server or it may be hosted on a separate server at the customer’s discretion
- The customer is responsible for installing Microsoft SQL Server; PowerPhone will provide guidelines for server configuration and settings
- PowerPhone must be provided with escorted remote access to the Microsoft SQL Server to deploy the Total Response database and configure data replication
- The customer is responsible for maintaining Microsoft SQL Server, including the application of security and maintenance patches recommended by Microsoft, undergoing necessary upgrades to ensure that the database server version being used is fully supported by Microsoft, and ensuring that regular backups are made of the Total Response database
Windows workstations for client access
The customer provides all Windows workstations that will be used to access the Total Response application. Typically, Total Response is hosted on Windows workstations that host the customer’s CAD application to facilitate connectivity with those systems. Requirements for workstations are as follows:
- Workstations must run a version of Windows 10 or 11 that is currently supported by Microsoft
- Workstations must be attached to a network that provides them with access to the Total Response application server and Microsoft SQL Server that hosts the Total Response database
- PowerPhone must be provided with escorted remote access to workstations to maintain installed Total Response client components; Internet connectivity on workstations is recommended
Version Number: TRGR060822